Friday, May 7, 2010

Ricky's Fish Tacos, Cheesestore of Silverlake, Pazzo Gelato, Forage, Yamazaki Bakery

Ricky's Fish Tacos: After a terrible experience at a Rubio's, I've been craving good fish tacos for months. A trip to London showed me how good fried fish can be (so amazing), and a free afternoon saw me hunting down not only a fish taco place, but a food stand. Food stands are another goal of mine, and this one was quite good. The fish was nowhere near as good as in London, but still better than most fried fish I've had in the US. Yummy, if a bit difficult to track down. I would eat again. Even better, it introduced me to the Silverlake area with lots of great stores.

Cheesestore of Silverlake: Our second stop was a cheesestore. I love cheese and especially love cheese shops with other import-y type goods. We bought their wonderful house olive oil (tasty but not overwhelming) and a baguette to eat it. Places that let you try olive oil are excellent and they get my money. A half pound of cheese...soft like brie but I forget the name...pretty good but a bit stinky. Also some salty caramels (so good). This was an awesome store. It looked like right outside the door they had a restaurant that was very busy, but we were full from fish tacos. Also right next door was Intelligentsia, which was incredibly busy so we didn't stop.

Pazzo Gelato: Across the street was a gelato place that was pretty good. They had several excellent flavor combinations. I had their balsamic vinegar and fig. I also tried the raspberry/mint/chocolate. While the flavor combos are great, they didn't quite pull off good gelato. Looking at the yelp reviews, I'm guessing they change flavors often. I would go again, but not go out of my way.

Forage: Earlier in the day we heard a radio story about this store (for buying ingredients from locals), and a random passerby told us they had tasty baked goods, so we stopped in. Very busy. The food looked great, and their oat bar with fruit/nut toppings was heavenly. The chocolate cupcake was also great...so moist and with cacao nibs. I loved it.

Yamazaki Bakery: On another day we checked out Little Tokyo. Bleh, I got five "pan" (breads/rolls/cakes) from here, and they were all tasteless, textureless, insipid. I would not let myself be dragged back.

We walked around the area and checked out the stores...bought a little teaset for $20...got some ok tacos at a foodtruck whose name I forget.

Yogurtland: Nearby however, was a Yogurtland. We tried four flavors (strawberry, chocolate, taro, and plain). Definitely just go with the plain yogurt. It was indistinguishable from pinkberry's and the other flavors were not as good. The toppings were fun, but we had higher quality strawberries at pinkberry and better lychee at frutti yogo. The brownie bites were nice, but a bit heavy. And the condensed milk squeeze bottle was a neat touch, but really not what I'm looking for on frozen yogurt. So good, but I'd rather go to pinkberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment