Monday, April 5, 2010

Jordan's Market, Saffron and Rose Ice Cream

Jordan's Market: I was told at my cooking class to go here to get tenderloin for a party. I expected it to be a butcher shop, and they do have a butcher counter, but it's more of a small convienience/ethnic store. The tenderloin was only $8 / pound, compared with over $25 / pound at Whole Foods, so I was happy to pick some up. Also got some ground beef that looked beautiful for about $3 or $4 / pound, but there wasn't as much variety/selection as I would prefer. I also bought some delicious Turkish Delight and pretty good yogurt soda (carbonated yogurt milk...how interesting).

Saffron and Rose: Just down the street from the market was an ice cream place. I tried the saffron and pistachio, the walnut and raisin, and the strawberry. The ice cream base is rich and smooth and all three flavors were good. It's rare that ice cream has a good raisin flavor, so kudos for that, but I liked the saffron/pistachio flavor best. We also tried numerous other flavors (we weren't asking for them, they just kept handing them over) and they were all good, though the rose ice cream was too delicate for me.

This block or two had several interesting Persian restaurants, of which Shaherzad seemed to be doing the best (only?) business at 3pm on a Sunday. There was also a greek restaurant that was practically empty, and a french bistro that was packed. Unfortunately the patisserie/boulangerie was closed, but the cakes inside looked very pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment