Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bay Cities, King's Cafe

Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica: I heard about this on chowhound in a 256 post forum about best sandwiches in Los Angeles. The forum said it had long lines and to order online for pickup, but I showed up at 2pm on a Sunday expecting the line to be reasonable. Parking was tough, but I don't mind walking a block or two for a good sandwich.
First off, the store is packed like sardines, particularly at the door/checkout area, but push through and you'll find a wonderful selection of cheeses, olive oils, pastas, imported cookies, etc. As well as a counter surrounded by 30+ people. When I got a ticket, #85, the current number being called was #19. I stayed around 15 minutes and they got up to about #30 when I decided to go home, order online on their website, and utilize the very quiet pick-up counter. That worked great and I highly recommend ordering online. I don't think a little counter-time detracts from the sandwiches at all.
The Godmother is the sandwich to get, apparently, and I also got a roast beef sandwich. The meats (Genoa Salami, Mortadella Coppacola, Ham, and Prosciutto on the Godmother) are high quality, fresh, and flavorful. For that matter, so was everything on/around the meats. Bright cucumbers, sharp onions, fresh tomatoes, and hot peppers. The italian bread has a great, crispy crust and a slightly sour taste. Wonderful texture/flavor and it goes great around the sandwich. I also got a fresh loaf (it was hot when I picked it up off the rack which made me smile) and devoured half of it on the drive home. The only downside was that the rye bread I got on the roast beef sandwich was passable, but not anywhere near as good as everything else.
In addition to the sandwiches, I picked up some incredibly soft (but not so flavorful) mozzarella in water, some excellently elegant chicken salad (such wonderful chicken flavor), and great coleslaw (if a bit heavy).
I plan on returning many times...but ordering the sandwiches online first. This isn't my favorite sandwich (that would be one of several sandwiches from the Oxford Spa in Cambridge, MA) or even the second (the cuban from Chez Henri in Cambridge, MA), but if you're looking for a really good italian sub or an honest-to-goodness deli with neat shopping, it's a great choice.

King's Cafe in Culver City: I saw a handful of people clustered around this little cafe, which piqued my curiosity. Once inside I was impressed by the laid back atmosphere, accentuated by books, boardgames (risk, chess, etc), and a guitar, all for use by patrons. I don't often see Turkish Coffee on the menu, so I jumped at the chance to get a cup, and also picked up a scone. Watching the barrista (owner?) get out a hotplate (for the coffee) brought me a burst of happiness. The coffee was great. Nice flavor, just the right bitterness, with a good amount of grounds at the bottom (if you like Turkish coffee). The scone was a mixed deal. Not only did it have many ingredients (coconut, cinnamon, chocolate chip, various nuts), but the sweetness varied (due to the sweetened coconut?) and though it was nicely crunchy on top it was dry throughout (but not old English style...too pasty). Not something I'll pick up again. If he'd had a croissant I would've tried it though because the puff pastry dough on the spinach pastry looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment