Friday, August 14, 2009

Legal Grind and Antequera Bakery

After stopping into Albertson's, I glanced across the road and saw what appeared to be a coffee shop, Legal Grind. It turned out to have closed at 2pm (on Friday). The first item on the menu: Coffee and Counsel $45. Apparently one can get legal advice (different types on different days?) and coffee. Looking through the window, the room looked like a nice place to hang out. The website stresses the legal advice and doesn't really mention the coffee so not what I'm looking for, but I love one of their taglines, "Thirsty for Justice?"

I also stopped by the Antequera Bakery on Ocean Park Blvd. Mexican bakery. I picked up two bread/pastry items based on the recommendation of the salesperson. A thickly sliced bread, rich but not quite as rich as brioche, slathered with butter and sprinkled with sugar. Tasty, though stale. The other bread was shaped like a croissant, with the same dough base, but with the sugar baked (?) on the outside in a pretty design. Not quite as tasty and just as stale. I doubt I'll be going back. Ethnic bakeries I stumble upon tend to suffer from stale products, presumably because they don't get enough business. It's a shame because I like the variety. I do remember one or two bakeries in Boston's Chinatown that had fresh breads/cookies. I'll have to try bakeries in LA's Chinatown...looks like there are several with at least one highly rated, The Phoenix Bakery.

Oh, and the sharp chedder "pub cheese" spread from Trader Joe's is wonderful. Head (cheese) and shoulders above any other cheese spread I've had, and it's really cheese (great ingredient list, elegant even).

No comments:

Post a Comment